Monday, October 06, 2008

On Choices and Inspiration...

My favorite blog to read is Linda Sharp’s “Don’t Get Me Started.” In addition to some hilarious entertainment commentary, she recently added a political section and she does a fantastic job of linking to an array of timely videos (like SNL’s Tina Fey’s Palin skits) and other sources.

Here’s the link to her political blog:

http://dontgetmestarted-lindasharp.typepad.com/dont_get_me_started_on_po/

Recently, her commentators clashed over what Obama supporters like about him and it led to me examining my own preference for him as my president.

Why I Like Obama

I can’t say that I agree with him on everything. He’s probably more left-leaning than I tend to be…I’m moderate, after all. So why is it that for the first time in my life I’m actually excited about a presidential candidate?

My first reason is that he’s the first candidate who actually tells me what I want to hear. As I listen to political speeches and interviews, I have a sense of where I think a candidate should go… of what they could say to impact me (and others in my Gen-X and after generations). In most cases, Obama tags these expectations perfectly.

It’s as if John Mayer’s “Waiting on the World to Change” song now has an answer.

It's not that we don't care,We just know that the fight ain't fair…

When I see Obama, I feel like…OK, now we have a horse in the race. Why? Because he seems to get just how disgusted we all are with the Red-Blue un-Civil War. Our country is weak exactly because of the liberal-conservative clash. Our internal pissing match is our biggest security risk and it has led to a serious morale problem. Obama was the first candidate to truly speak to it and to speak to it in a way that let us know he gets it.

Hillary didn’t do it because she’s still pretty entrenched in Dems vs Repubs. McCain and Palin try… by throwing out soundbites about “partisan politics” (it seems to work for Obama, so lather rinse and repeat) but it doesn’t ring true. Obama gets it and I believe him when he says he’ll work on that problem.

My second reason is that Obama motivates people. He has an intrinsic charisma and an aura of wisdom that soothes and encourages others. JFK and Bobby had it… MLK had it and Obama has it. A good leader doesn’t do everything himself… He delegates and motivates those around him to pitch in and contribute. A president who inspires others (“Ask not what your country can do for you…but what you can do for your country…”) to work together as one will accomplish so much more, will strengthen our nation as a whole, and will bring about a sense of unity and pride that we’ve needed for decades now. Obama has the potential to be a truly great and beloved leader. Everyone jokes about his “Hope” platform, but really, wouldn’t you rather be hopeful than cynical? Wouldn’t you rather collaborate with hopeful people than cynical people? Neighborly rather than dog-eat-dog?

My third reason is that Obama is a spectacular figurehead. As the first bi-racial president, his presence will send a message that race is no longer an absolute barrier. He will be in a position to freely investigate and candidly talk about race relations and to help all people move forward and heal. He is youthful but wise and so he’s able to excite and engage a wider range of citizens…much like JFK did.

His presence will send a message to the world that the US is, perhaps, a different place than everyone had thought. The world is watching our election precisely because of Obama and if you think about it, the US will be a different country under Obama than it is under Bush or would be under McCain. Obama’s leadership presence at the helm will affect all sorts of systemic and perceptual changes that I believe will help our country evolve out of the quagmire we’ve been in for so long now. I believe our allies would be more committed and our enemies, perhaps, a little disarmed by him.

Conservatives argue that it doesn’t matter what the World thinks of the US…we’ll do whatever we darned well please. But, Hello…knock knock knock… we need allies. We are a stronger and more secure nation with allies. We need a president who can play well with others…who can be diplomatic and strategic.

Did it ever occur to anyone that Obama’s comments about speaking with our enemies could be strategic? Could be more about what they hear and perceive—what ambivalent nations hear and perceive—than what he actually does? I think Obama is a crafty strategist who understands that what he says and how he says it has a powerful systemic impact…even now, as he’s just a presidential candidate. He’s not just speaking for just the US to hear…he’s also speaking to the World.

So that’s why I voted for him in the primary and continue to support him now. I get what you’re trying to do, Barack, and I support you.

One could argue that Palin is also youthful, charismatic and a different figurehead. I admit that her presence is doing some interesting things for gender relations and women in general along with forcing traditional conservative misogynists/sexists to drink and distribute some seriously feminist Kool-Aid.

At the same time, she isn’t inspirational or soothing. There is nothing about her that gives me hope for our nation’s healing. She doesn’t seem terribly wise and she exudes a rather clueless narcissism. She has not in any way demonstrated any ability to self-reflect or be real with us. Her image is cut-and-paste rhetoric…she’s a fashion doll with a soundtrack… A pretty Star Trek android who blows circuits when the questions don’t match her pre-prepared and coached answers. She has not an ounce of global thinking and has demonstrated no capacity at all for understanding diverse perspectives. She’s a great character, but a great president? Nope. No way.

Then there’s McCain. I feel like I’ve covered this, but briefly he’s just too obnoxious. I personally don’t want a “maverick” as my president. I don’t want a guy who just seems to like being contrary just so he can call himself a maverick. He also hasn’t demonstrated how he’s any different in thought or practice than the current administration. How does he differ from Bush? We don’t know because he just keeps saying that he’s a maverick. He says he’ll “reform Washington” but never follows that up with a picture of what that reform would look like. He’s just too off-putting, impulsive, and weird and I don’t believe he’ll improve our nation in any way. In fact, I believe his impulsive nature is a security risk and I don’t see any wisdom in him at all. I don’t trust him to carefully navigate our country and keep us safe.

Oh, I’ll be glad when this is all over… or terrified. Time will tell.

No comments: